home     |     travels     |     blog     |     links     |     contact   

When Thought goes Wild

When Thought goes Wild

Sunday, June 24, 2007

Sunday Livestock Market in Kashgar





















The Sunday Livestock Market in Kashgar has existed for centuries, much of the business process still remains unchanged since the yesteryears as people intensely bargain with high tones or whispers or hand-shaking to close a deal. Cattle, sheep or even camel trading occupy the main area with food vendors and craftmen line the edges of the market.
There was a stall in the market selling mutton soup, it smelt really good and I went up to try it out. The Uyghurs there were curious about me and asked some questions in Uyghur that I could not understand at first, but finally I figured out they were asking about my age, and the old guy told me with hand language that he was already 84 and left with few teeth.

No comments: